Monday, November 29, 2010

Blog #9

        I think we accomplished the first goal. We worked together on a group paper and completed peer editing of others' work. In addition to working together we analyzed and responded to academic writings. Reading the academic journals gave me a sense of others abilities when they are focused and well researched on a very specific topic.
       The second goal was touched on, but this is also covered in English 101. Understanding these different situations and knowing what is appropriate is important in all forms of writing.
       The third class goal was accomplished. We utilized TS/CD worksheets, peer editing, free write blogs and of course wrote several papers. I like the way we built up to the research paper. The working bibliography, annotated bibliography, rough draft, and peer editing made the assignment more manageable, assuming these steps were done on time and in order. The World Cat and other resources presented to the class were beneficial to the writing process.
       Personally, I absolutely achieved the fourth goal. Being able to choose the topic myself allowed me to write about something I am passionate about. With regard to "self-discovery", I had set beliefs going into the argumentative paper. Throughout this assignment I kept an open mind and took time to understand different viewpoints. Although I still have the same view as when I began the assignment, the way in which I view at the subject has changed.
       I accomplished the fifth goal, mainly, through TS/CDs. This structured writing technique does provide clarity and helps put forth supporting evidence of the writers' claim. The material provided when using TS/CD is real material, not junk and page filling material.
       I used both physical and electronic resources throughout this course. I prefer to actually go to the library and find the material in person. The electronic resources like the Waubonsee library link and World Cat were helpful, especially with finding academic journals and old books.
       I was encouraged to summarize and use quotations in a responsible way. When reading They Say, I Say, I discovered that it is acceptable, and encouraged, to develop the thoughts of both sides when presenting and argument. Be doing this credibility is established by the author. I learned to cite EVERYTHING that is not an original thought, including paraphrasing.
       During the semester I achieved the eighth goal by using different writing formats and presenting clean organized work in a timely manner. I used both APA and MLA formats, including proper layout and printing procedures. The work I presented in the course was appropriate and organized.
       All the work I completed with and without technology was done ethically.
       Writing is important as a tool for work, communicating and life in general. Over the years I have drifted from "good" writing. I'm glad I am able to refresh some old skills and learn new techniques for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment